Free  Personal  Search  Engines
NEW YORK, NY - December 22, 2008 - (RealEstateRama) – Bill Myers, founder of the Alternatives Federal Credit Union, has been confirmed by the New York State Senate to become a member of the board of directors of the State of New York Mortgage Agency (SONYMA). SONYMA provides low-cost residential mortgages to first-time homeowners in New York State.”Bill brings first-hand experience as a lender committed to helping individuals and families become responsible borrowers and financially self-sufficient,” said Priscilla Almodovar, President and CEO of SONYMA. “His background will further SONYMA’s mission of promoting successful homeownership for working families. I look forward to his insight and contribution to our board.”
Mr. Myers said, “I am honored by Governor Paterson’s appointment to the SONYMA board and look forward to working with the Agency to broaden opportunity for homeownership in New York State, especially upstate. In these difficult economic times, SONYMA’s role in encouraging homeownership is more important than ever.”
Mr. Myers, who lives in Ithaca, New York, has devoted his career to helping those underserved by banking institutions become financially proficient. In 1979, he founded the Alternatives Federal Credit Union, a regional Community Development Financial Institution based in Ithaca that provides banking services for individuals and families of modest means.
The Alternatives Federal Credit Union initiated numerous programs aimed at building wealth and creating economic opportunity for underserved individuals and communities. Among the programs was the American Dream Demonstration that encourages homeownership. Under the program, foundations match the savings of low- and moderate-income members to create accounts that can be used for down payments to purchase homes.
Since his retirement from the credit union in 2007, Mr. Myers has been a Senior Fellow at the Aspen Institute’s Economic Opportunities Program and a consultant exploring ways to bring financial services to low-income individuals and families.
SONYMA was created in 1970 with the mission of helping low- and moderate-income families become homeowners. It offers a variety of low down payment mortgages that provide below-market fixed interest rates, as well as closing cost assistance through a network of participating lenders across the state.
SONYMA Contact: Philip Lentz
Director of Communications
plentz (at) nyhomes (dot) org
No related posts.
- At Gillibrand & Schumer’s Urging, Feds Lift Restrictions for Hundreds of Sandy Homeowners Currently Disqualified for Disaster Aid
- SCHUMER: NEARLY 6,000 VETS LIVE IN HERKIMER COUNTY BUT MANY DON’T UTILIZE PROPERTY TAX BENEFITS AVAILABLE TO THEM – FEDS FAIL TO LET LOCALITIES KNOW VETS ARE RETURNING HOME & THEN VETS CAN’T BE NOTIFIED OF AVAILABLE TAX BREAKS
- Bellone, Krupski, LaValle and Riverhead Officials Announce Support for Continued Downtown Revitalization of Riverhead
- Workers at High Line Luxury Buildings Tell Management: New York Shouldn’t Just Be Livable for the 1%
- HPD, HDC & NYCHA Join SKA Marin and Partners to Celebrate the Ribbon-Cutting for New Affordable Senior Housing in Brooklyn
- Governor Cuomo Announces Major Project to Upgrade Storm Protections for Howard Beach, Queens
- NYCOM Conference, Ribbon Cuttings and Equity Fund Forum Highlight Trip to Finger Lakes Region
- CKX Declares December 31st Record Date for Dividend of FX Real Estate and Entertainment Shares
- Jones Lang LaSalle Hires Seasoned Industrial Real Estate Professionals to Strengthen Client Services in Long Island
- First Affordable Housing Development in Brooklyn with Solar Panels
- “Green” Forum Highlights 545 Madison Avenue as Showcase of Sustainability
- New York State Senate Confirms Bill Myers to the Board of the State of New York Mortgage Agency
- New York State home sales continue to post gains compared to 2009
- Gillibrand Introduces Solar Energy Legislation
- HDC Board Approves $55.5 Million in Tax-Exempt Multi-family Housing Revenue Bonds
- Diversity Works’ Unique Model Combines Permanent Supportive Housing and Family Preservation Services