NEW YORK, NY - December 22, 2008 - (RealEstateRama) – Bill Myers, founder of the Alternatives Federal Credit Union, has been confirmed by the New York State Senate to become a member of the board of directors of the State of New York Mortgage Agency (SONYMA). SONYMA provides low-cost residential mortgages to first-time homeowners in New York State.”Bill brings first-hand experience as a lender committed to helping individuals and families become responsible borrowers and financially self-sufficient,” said Priscilla Almodovar, President and CEO of SONYMA. “His background will further SONYMA’s mission of promoting successful homeownership for working families. I look forward to his insight and contribution to our board.”
Mr. Myers said, “I am honored by Governor Paterson’s appointment to the SONYMA board and look forward to working with the Agency to broaden opportunity for homeownership in New York State, especially upstate. In these difficult economic times, SONYMA’s role in encouraging homeownership is more important than ever.”
Mr. Myers, who lives in Ithaca, New York, has devoted his career to helping those underserved by banking institutions become financially proficient. In 1979, he founded the Alternatives Federal Credit Union, a regional Community Development Financial Institution based in Ithaca that provides banking services for individuals and families of modest means.
The Alternatives Federal Credit Union initiated numerous programs aimed at building wealth and creating economic opportunity for underserved individuals and communities. Among the programs was the American Dream Demonstration that encourages homeownership. Under the program, foundations match the savings of low- and moderate-income members to create accounts that can be used for down payments to purchase homes.
Since his retirement from the credit union in 2007, Mr. Myers has been a Senior Fellow at the Aspen Institute’s Economic Opportunities Program and a consultant exploring ways to bring financial services to low-income individuals and families.
SONYMA was created in 1970 with the mission of helping low- and moderate-income families become homeowners. It offers a variety of low down payment mortgages that provide below-market fixed interest rates, as well as closing cost assistance through a network of participating lenders across the state.
SONYMA Contact: Philip Lentz
Director of Communications
plentz (at) nyhomes (dot) org
- State of New York Mortgage Agency Partners With With DHCR, HUD and Public Housing Authorities to Offer 2% Mortgages to Section 8 Recipients
NEW YORK – Monday, June 9, 2008 – The State of New York Mortgage Agency (SONYMA) today announced that it is partnering with the NYS Division of Housing and Community Renewal (DHCR), the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) and public housing authorities around the state to offer very low 2% fixed-rate mortgages [...]...
- The New York State Consumer Protection Board and the New York State Builders Association Announce “Ask the Expert” Collaborative Program for Homeowners Embarking on Home Improvements
‘Tis the season for home improvements, and the New York State Consumer Protection Board (CPB), with the help of professional advice from the New York State Builders Association (NYSBA), is announcing its new “Ask the Expert” program for consumers who are looking for reliable project information to help assure that their hard-earned money is spent [...]...
- New York State Real Estate Board To Meet
ALBANY – (June 19, 2008) – The New York State Real Estate Board will hold a public hearing on general real estate issues on Wednesday, June 25, 2008 at 10:30 a.m. at Department of State, Division of Licensing Services, Alfred E. Smith State Office Building, 80 South Swan Street, 10th Floor Conference Room, Albany, NY. [...]...
- New York State Board of Real Estate Appraisal To Meet
ALBANY – (April 1, 2008) – A meeting of the New York State Board of Real Estate Appraisal will be held on Tuesday, April 8, 2008 at 10:30 a.m. at the Department of State, Division of Licensing Services, 123 William Street, 19th Floor Conference Room, NYC, NY. Should you require further information, please [...]...
- New York State Board of Real Estate Appraisal to Meet
ALBANY, NY – October 8, 2008 - (RealEstateRama) — A meeting of the New York State Board of Real Estate Appraisal will be held on Wednesday, October 15, 2008 at 10:30 a.m. at the Department of State, Alfred E. Smith State Office Bldg., 80 South Swan Street, 10th Floor Conference Room, Albany, NY, and 123 William [...]...
- At Gillibrand & Schumer’s Urging, Feds Lift Restrictions for Hundreds of Sandy Homeowners Currently Disqualified for Disaster Aid
- New York and Ohio to Use Uniform Mortgage Test; 43 State Agencies Now Using the Test
- House passes crucial job training legislation
- Tonko Statement on Housing for Undocumented Children
- Governor Cuomo Announces $14 Million in Awards for Affordable Housing
- Governor Cuomo Deploys DFS Mobile Command Center to Branchport to Help Finger Lakes Area Flood Victims
- NYCOM Conference, Ribbon Cuttings and Equity Fund Forum Highlight Trip to Finger Lakes Region
- CKX Declares December 31st Record Date for Dividend of FX Real Estate and Entertainment Shares
- Jones Lang LaSalle Hires Seasoned Industrial Real Estate Professionals to Strengthen Client Services in Long Island
- First Affordable Housing Development in Brooklyn with Solar Panels
- “Green” Forum Highlights 545 Madison Avenue as Showcase of Sustainability
- New York State Senate Confirms Bill Myers to the Board of the State of New York Mortgage Agency
- New York State home sales continue to post gains compared to 2009
- Gillibrand Introduces Solar Energy Legislation
- HDC Board Approves $55.5 Million in Tax-Exempt Multi-family Housing Revenue Bonds
- Diversity Works’ Unique Model Combines Permanent Supportive Housing and Family Preservation Services