New York State housing market posts solid first quarter; closed sales, median price and pending sales up
Albany, NY – April 22, 2013 – (RealEstateRama) — The New York State housing market posted a solid first quarter of 2013 with gains in closed sales, median sales price and pending sales compared to the 2012 first quarter, according to the housing market report released today by the New York State Association of REALTORS. The statewide inventory of homes for sale continued to decline, reaching its lowest point since January 2006.
“It’s simple economics at work in the statewide housing market,” said Duncan R. MacKenzie, NYSAR CEO. “As buyer demand increased and the housing supply decreased in the 2013 first quarter, the result was a nearly four-percent growth in the statewide median sales price compared to the 2012 first quarter.”
MacKenzie noted that first quarter closed sales were 2-percent ahead of the 2012 first quarter and the number of homes for sale dropped 20.4 percent compared to the first three months of 2012.
“With first quarter pending sales up 11.5 percent compared to a year ago, we continue to project a strong spring market as buyers try to avoid further price increases, while taking advantage of historically low mortgage rates,” said MacKenzie.
There were 18,251 closed sales in the 2013 first quarter, up 2 percent from the 2012 total of 17,898. This was despite a 4.4-percent decrease in March 2013 closed sales (6,241) compared to a year ago (6,528).
The 2013 first quarter median sales price was $218,000, an increase of 3.8 percent compared to the first quarter 2012 median of $210,000. The March 2013 median of $220,000 represents an increase of 5.8 percent compared to the March 2012 median of $208,000.
Pending sales jumped 11.5 percent to 24,843 in the 2013 first quarter compared to 22,273 in the 2012 first quarter. March 2013 pending sales (9,951) were up 11.1 percent compared to March 2012 (8,953).
The months supply of inventory dropped 27.8 percent at the end of the first quarter to 9.1 months supply. It was at 12.6 months at the end of the 2012 first quarter. A 6 month to 6.5 month supply is considered to be a balanced market. Inventory stood at 77,340, a decrease of 20.4 percent compared the 2012 first quarter.
Additional data is available at http://www.nysar.com/industry-resources/market-data
Editor’s Note: All data is compiled from multiple listing services in the state of New York and the data now include townhomes and condominiums in addition to existing single-family homes.
The New York State Association of REALTORS is a not-for-profit trade organization representing more than 47,000 of New York State’s real estate professionals. The term REALTOR is a registered trademark, which identifies real estate professionals who subscribe to a strict code of ethics as members of the National Association of REALTORS. These REALTORS are also members of the New York State Association of REALTORS as well as their local board or association of REALTORS.
Salvatore I. Prividera Jr.
Director of Communications
sprividera (at) nysar (dot) com
- 2012 housing market posts strong gains: Recovery is at hand with sales and price increases
Albany, NY - January 22, 2012 - (RealEstateRama) -- The New York State housing market recovered strongly in 2012 as closed sales of existing single-family homes, condos and co-ops finished 7-percent ahead of 2011. There was a modest 1.2-percent growth in the median sales price as available inventory fell by nearly 20 percent, according to the housing market report released...
- New York housing market sales pace improves, median price holds
Albany – June 30, 2008 –Sales of existing single-family homes in New York State in May outpaced April by nearly 12 percent, with more than 80 percent of New York’s reporting counties seeing an increase in sales, according to preliminary single-family sales data accumulated by the New York State Association of REALTORS. New York REALTORS [...]...
- New York housing market posts solid August
Albany, September 21, 2007 – Sales of existing single-family homes in New York state in August were up 8 percent compared to July, surpassing the 10,000-sale mark, according to preliminary single-family sales data accumulated by the New York State Association of REALTORS. The statewide median sales price increased slightly compared to the previous month. The [...]...
- Recovery continues: 2013 housing market starts strong with sales, price gains
Albany, NY - February 21, 2013 - (RealEstateRama) -- The recovery of the New York State housing market continued into 2013 as January sales of existing single-family homes, condos and co-ops were 9.5 percent ahead of January 2012, according to the housing market report released today by the New York State Association of REALTORS. The statewide median sales price grew...
- Empire State median home price continues to grow as inventory shrinks
Albany, NY - March 21, 2013 - (RealEstateRama) -- The New York State housing market sustained its ongoing recovery in February, posting a 4.8-percent growth in the statewide median sales price for existing single-family homes, condos and co-ops, according to the housing market report released today by the New York State Association of REALTORS. Year-to-date closed sales are 3.3 percent...
- At Gillibrand & Schumer’s Urging, Feds Lift Restrictions for Hundreds of Sandy Homeowners Currently Disqualified for Disaster Aid
- New York and Ohio to Use Uniform Mortgage Test; 43 State Agencies Now Using the Test
- House passes crucial job training legislation
- Tonko Statement on Housing for Undocumented Children
- Governor Cuomo Announces $14 Million in Awards for Affordable Housing
- Governor Cuomo Deploys DFS Mobile Command Center to Branchport to Help Finger Lakes Area Flood Victims
- NYCOM Conference, Ribbon Cuttings and Equity Fund Forum Highlight Trip to Finger Lakes Region
- CKX Declares December 31st Record Date for Dividend of FX Real Estate and Entertainment Shares
- Jones Lang LaSalle Hires Seasoned Industrial Real Estate Professionals to Strengthen Client Services in Long Island
- First Affordable Housing Development in Brooklyn with Solar Panels
- “Green” Forum Highlights 545 Madison Avenue as Showcase of Sustainability
- New York State Senate Confirms Bill Myers to the Board of the State of New York Mortgage Agency
- New York State home sales continue to post gains compared to 2009
- Gillibrand Introduces Solar Energy Legislation
- HDC Board Approves $55.5 Million in Tax-Exempt Multi-family Housing Revenue Bonds
- Diversity Works’ Unique Model Combines Permanent Supportive Housing and Family Preservation Services