Albany, NY – November 20, 2013 – (RealEstateRama) — The New York State housing market continued to impress by showing gains in closed sales, pending sales and median sales price in October compared to the same time last year. According to the housing market report released today by the New York State Association of REALTORS, closed sales were up 17.1 percent, pending sales rose 23.9 percent, and median sales price was up 12.3 percent compared to October 2012.
“The October numbers continue to show that consumers still see the many quality of life benefits to home ownership,” said Duncan R. MacKenzie, NYSAR CEO. “This is particularly encouraging since interest rates have slowly increased throughout the year without appreciable impact on sales.”
“Sellers are receiving the highest percentage of their list price since 2007, which may bring more homes into the market at a time when inventory is lacking,” said MacKenzie. “Averaging 109 days on market, homes are selling at a brisk pace and keeping New York’s REALTORSbusy this fall.”
The October market posted 9,881 closed sales, up 17.1 percent from the October 2012 total of 8,440. Year-to-date (Jan. 1 to Oct. 31) closed sales reached 89,154 at the end of October, an increase of 12.8 percent from last year.
The statewide median sales price reached $230,276, an increase of 12.3 percent compared to the October 2012 median of $205,000. This marks 17 consecutive months of year-over-year median price gains. The year-to-date (Jan. 1 to Oct. 31) median of $226,600 was 6.4 percent above the $213,000 median in 2012.
Pending sales jumped 23.9 percent to 9,960 in October 2013 compared to 8,036 in October 2012. The year-to-date (Jan. 1 to Oct. 31) pending sales total of 98,386 is 14 percent higher than the 86,285 pending sales during the same period last year.
The months supply of inventory fell 20.2 percent in October to 9.5 months supply. It was at 11.9 months in October 2012. A 6 month to 6.5 month supply is considered to be a balanced market. Inventory stood at 87,747 units in October 2013, a decrease of 10.8 percent compared to October 2012.
Additional data is available at http://www.nysar.com/industry-resources/market-data
Editor’s Note: All data is compiled from multiple listing services in the state of New York and the data now include townhomes and condominiums in addition to existing single-family homes.
The New York State Association of REALTORS is a not-for-profit trade organization representing more than 47,000 of New York State’s real estate professionals. The term REALTOR is a registered trademark, which identifies real estate professionals who subscribe to a strict code of ethics as members of the National Association of REALTORS. These REALTORS are also members of the New York State Association of REALTORS as well as their local board or association of REALTORS.
518-463-0300 x207 office
ciara (at) nysar (dot) com
No related posts.
- At Gillibrand & Schumer’s Urging, Feds Lift Restrictions for Hundreds of Sandy Homeowners Currently Disqualified for Disaster Aid
- Governor Cuomo Announces Completion of Academy Lofts Project in Arbor Hill
- Empire State median sales price continues to climb as home sales dip in first quarter
- SCHUMER TO FEDS: WHEN IT COMES TO SANDY RECOVERY, DON’T FORGET ABOUT THE NORTH SHORE – CRITICAL SANDY REBUILDING PROJECTS HAVE NOT BEEN FUNDED BY FEDS IN TOWN OF NORTH HEMPSTEAD
- Governor Cuomo Announces $95 Million to Build Affordable Housing Across the State
- Mangano: IDA Helps Bring Much Needed Rental Housing Options To Nassau County
- NYCOM Conference, Ribbon Cuttings and Equity Fund Forum Highlight Trip to Finger Lakes Region
- CKX Declares December 31st Record Date for Dividend of FX Real Estate and Entertainment Shares
- Jones Lang LaSalle Hires Seasoned Industrial Real Estate Professionals to Strengthen Client Services in Long Island
- First Affordable Housing Development in Brooklyn with Solar Panels
- “Green” Forum Highlights 545 Madison Avenue as Showcase of Sustainability
- New York State Senate Confirms Bill Myers to the Board of the State of New York Mortgage Agency
- New York State home sales continue to post gains compared to 2009
- Gillibrand Introduces Solar Energy Legislation
- HDC Board Approves $55.5 Million in Tax-Exempt Multi-family Housing Revenue Bonds
- Diversity Works’ Unique Model Combines Permanent Supportive Housing and Family Preservation Services